94 Torah crown
Nagykanizsa, second half of 18th century
Gold plated silver, engrossed, engraved, with glass decorations
Deposit of the Jewish community of Nagykanizsa, 1949
This Torah crown in the form of a bishop’s mitre, belonging to the Chevra Kadisha of Nagykanizsa, featured on the most important Hungarian national exhibitions at the end of the 19th century: on the Historical Exhibition of Metal Art in 1884, and then at the National Millennial Exhibition in 1896, celebrating thousand years of the Hungarian tribes conquering the Carpathian basin. The Jewish Museum had a register of the ritual objects from Nagykanizsa, but they continued to be in synagogue use until 1949, and did not become a part of the museum’s collection. The membership of the Jewish community of Nagykanizsa diminished significantly after the Holocaust, and the community decided to deposit its valuable antiques, 36 items altogether, in the newly opened Jewish Museum in Budapest.