97 Plaque of the Chevra Kadisha of Óbuda
Óbuda, end of the 19th century
Painted tin, with painted wooden handle
From the collection of the Jewish Museum of Óbuda, 1950
The prominent Jewish community of Óbuda was the most important exhibitor of Judaica at the great Hungarian national exhibitions at the end of the 19th century: at the Historical Exhibition of Metal Art in 1884, and later at the National Millennial Exhibition in 1896, celebrating thousand years of the Hungarian tribes conquering the Carpathian basin. After the Jewish Museum was opened, some of their objects became part of the museum’s collection, but their ritual objects remained in use for prayer services, in the synagogue. When the present building of the Jewish Museum was inaugurated (1931), the museum asked the community to deposit their valuable antiques in the museum, but the community of Óbuda decided to open their own, smaller museum on the second floor of the synagogue of Óbuda in 1932, which was open until 1943. In 1950, when the Jewish communities of the country were united under state pressure, the Jewish community of Óbuda also became the member of the Israelite Community of Budapest, and their objects were deposited in the Jewish Museum– among them, also this decorated tin sign.