20 Torah shield
Hungarian, 19th century
gilded copper, silver filigree, with enamel decorations
Donation of Gyula Winterberg, 1910
The gilded copper Torah shield is decorated with silver filigree and green and blue enamel insets. In the center of the plaque there is a small box reminiscent of the Torah ark, which contains a Torah scroll with filigree embellishment. The shield has bells attached, so that the jingling sound of the bells should draw attention to the Torah as it is lifted and carried through the congregation as a part of the service. The decorative object was a gift of Gyula Winterberg, royal councilor, an official of the Chevra Kadisha of Pest, to the Jewish Museum in 1910.