Partly gold plated silver
From the collection of the Jewish Museum of Óbuda, 1950
On the Historical Exhibition of Metal Art, organized in the Hungarian National Museum in 1884, there were over eight thousand artifacts, among them 43 Judaica, from Jewish communities and private collections. This was the first ever international exhibition, where the Judaica shown did not come from private collections only, but can also be interpreted as the self-representation of a community. One of the biggest units in the Judaica section of the exhibition came from the Jewish community of Óbuda, which by the time had already been overshadowed by the Jewish community of Pest. This large goldplated silver goblet used to belong to the Jewish community of Óbuda, and it might have been familiar to people visiting the exhibition, since there were similar objects in collections of the nobility. The goblet was made in the 17th century, and according to its inscription, it was purchased by the officials of the Chevra Kadisha of Óbuda. This item also featured on the National Millennial Exhibition in 1896, and became a part of the collection of the Jewish Museum in 1950.