MILEV

A pesti gettó térképe

Item

5355724e998c5cbb63418a217ba9c046.jpg

Title

A pesti gettó térképe

Description

The ghetto was established in November 1944 by a decree of the Royal Hungarian Government, and lasted for less than three months until the liberation of Budapest on January 17, 1945.

When the ghetto was liberated, the bodies of more than 3,000 Jews who had frozen or starved to death, or died as a result of the siege of the brutality of the Arrow Cross, were found in the streets.
Today, the museum’s cemetery garden serves as a memorial to the more than 2,000 people buried there. While there are plaques commemorating Jewish victims, many of the corpses were unidentifiable upon liberation, and, therefore, their identities will remain unknown. The database of those who are buried in the garden is available here.

Date

1944-11-

Original Format

A2

Text

térképlap, a pesti gettó térképe, házak jelölésével

Collection

Citation

“A pesti gettó térképe,” MILEV, accessed April 21, 2024, https://collections.milev.hu/items/show/31546.